...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A walk in the snow, and a quick lunch

"Winter came in one go," my spinning instructor commented Monday afternoon when I went to the gym. And he was right. The previous evening was cold, yes, but there was no trace of snow and the asphalt roads were dry. When I woke up Monday morning, the news on the clock radio warned for slippery roads, car accidents, delayed flights, stranded buses and snowstorms. I looked out the window at a city covered in white. It looked like it had been snowing for days instead of just over a night.

...Yahoo! Picture-taking opportunities! :-)


I like to walk on crunchy, newly-fallen snow – before it has the chance to get packed (in paths where people walk the most) and melt into a slippery ice sheet, or before the snow on the streets turn into muck. They say Germans go up here for "real winters," but the truth is, at least in our part of Sweden, the snow usually doesn't stay on the ground until after New Year. Slippery pavements and street slush are what constitute the better part of Swedish winters, unfortunately. Or if I'm only talking about my part of Sweden, do correct me Lara (she lives up there in northern Sweden)!

So, it looks like this snow will melt in a few days, despite the alarmist tabloid forecasts for "extreme winter weather". Though I'd like to go sledding on Sunday, we're already back to plus-degrees as I write and they say we might even get it up to 6 degrees by the weekend. The thought makes me want to escape to the Alps, or at least to the Swedish skiing resorts to see loads of snow that don't melt under the sun within a week.

A very quick lunch – talk about fast food!

To another topic, I wanted to show you guys this Norwegian chocolate bar that Lalaine gave me as a present when I was in Oslo. The brand Kvikk Lunsj literally translates to "Quick Lunch," which I thought was funny after hearing all the horror stories about (the lack of) Norwegian food culture. I actually talked to several people who thought it was a big deal staying at a hotel if only because the food there was better than regular Norwegian food "which is all brown and tasteless". Seeing their brand name on the trams stops, I assumed Kvikk Lunsj was an eatery in the vicinity. The last thing I expected a quick lunch to be was a chocolate bar.


But hey – as I always like to point out – in Holland they have chocolate sprinkles on bread for breakfast. And back at home, my dad used to have candy for lunch everyday in his office. It's a free world.

Lalaine said that Norwegians miss Kvikk Lunsj when they're abroad, but after I tasted it, I didn't get why. It looks like, breaks like, and tastes exactly like Kit Kat.


I need a Norwegian to enlighten me on this mystery...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)