...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Venice of the North... one of them, anyway

I will be away for the weekend on a trip to Stockholm with Kristine, a high school friend whom I haven't seen in 8 years since her move to the Big Apple. I'm actually planning to be touristy this time compared to last year's trip with Andriana. We're expecting pictures galore, day-long walks around town, frenzied museum-hopping complete with guided tours... and tired feet by the end of each day. Too bad that the weather dosn't seem like it will cooperate much; the prognosis dosn't look oh-so-sunny... :-(

Speaking of Stockholm, I wanted to find out if the city was really called Venice of the North or if the nickname referred some other place. A Wikipedia search revealed that the label actually refers to no less than 10 cities, the last of which is Stockholm (since the list was in alphabetical order). Apparently it's not such a unique nickname, as there are loads of other cities labeled as "Venice of the South/East/West".

As it happens, it seems that I've already been to 3 "Venices" -- Stockholm, Amsterdam and Bangkok -- without ever seeing Venice itself. But the most interesting thing in that city nickname list has to be this: one of the Venices of the East happens to be in Tawi-Tawi in the Philippines! How about that, huh!

I'm still wondering if I should bring my computer along to Stockholm and spend a few antisocial hours at night blogging away... At any case, you'll hear of my adventures soon enough!

3 Comments:

Blogger CosmoLady said...

hi...

This is duan. Now I am back to Linköping. I want to visit Stockholm too ja.

looking forward to read more about your trips naja.

kram kram,
duan

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Cheryl said...

wow, a venice in tawi-tawi! :D

but i looked up pics of the place. that must've how the floating market in bangkok looked like years ago... anyway, enjoy on your trip! sana eventually you'd get to the real venice, hehe

2:19 PM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Hi Duan! Nice! Maybe we can meet soon? (Not this week though, since I have my friend over.)

Cheryl: Those were really terrific and exotic pictures! Hmmm... somehow though I can't see myself going as a tourist to Tawi-tawi though, heheh. Davao na siguro yung southmost na pupuntahan ko sa Pilipinas. How about you?

:-) Ciao for now

8:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)