...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Butterfly effect

We should have made a lamb stew in a clay pot today, a two-and-a-half hour project that should have been tonight's dinner. We were here at home and just got so long into the process as to submerge the clay pot in water (step zero, that is) when the whole project had to be put to a stop, and my dinner became a 6-piece McNuggets and a McDonald's blueberry pie.

The reason? This stranded boat:

Image from Norrköpings Tidningar (NT) Online. Original article and more pictures here.

Today at Söderköping, a small city south of here, they celebrated the Kanalfesten, or the Canal festival along the Göta canal that runs through the city. Some military boats were parked there for a public viewing, after which they ran the boats along the canal for an exhibition.

NT's photographer described what happened: "First, the boat drove away from the locks towards the bridge over the E22 highway. It then turned and headed back in full speed. Something wrong happened and the boat began to wobble back and forth, it's fore was low into the water. Then it just went straight up and landed on the bank of the canal."

Bizzare.

Anyway, I told you guys that Marcus was part of the home guard, and as the boat is stuck on land waiting for equipment to get it out, the home guard was tasked to keep an eye on it. They called Marcus just as we were preparing the clay pot, and he had to pack for Söderköping on short notice and probably has to stay there until Monday.

But the McNuggets? Well, as it happens, the Canal festival in Söderköping coincides with Norrköpings own yearly August festival. As Marcus was packing, a friend was just reading about the festivities in NT (and actually saw the article about the stranded boat). Though she didn't know that Marcus was going off to home guard duty and that I was rendered planless for the evening, she texted me if I wanted to watch a free play with her in connection with the celebrations. I agreed, and with that, both Marcus and I had altered our evening plans, and that is why there was no lamb stew tonight.

Dinner at McDonalds, although I can't really complain about it, isn't really a substitute for homemade stew, I know. Thankfully, it's not often that a stranded boat causes changes to my dinner plans.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Liz said...

I don't know about you, but Ian just loves McDonald's chicken nuggets.... So do I, actually :-)

10:27 AM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Ooh, I love nuggets too. If you don't count burgers in, it's probably the best thing in McDonald's next to their donuts. I love McDonald's donuts! :-)

By the way, I still order barbecue sauce with my nuggets. It's like the way I always get chocolate-flavored sundae. It's so good that I don't want to try other flavors. There goes my sense of adventure when it comes to fast food, huh!

We did eventually cook the stew, which was also good but needs some tweaking in the future.

12:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)