...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Thanks for the strawberries, Margareta!

We could have eaten them plain, but I had a better idea for half of the box. Now I think we'd have to eat cake for the next three days... GREAT!


I made the cake base by baking an ordinary yellow cake (sockerkaka) flavored with the peel of half a lemon. The filling is cream whipped with sugar (this supposedly makes the cream stay firm longer) and drottningsylt, a Swedish jam of blueberries and raspberries. The top layer is just cream and sliced strawberries.

P.S. That girl in the picture is Strawberry Shortcake. In nursery school, I had a hand-me-down pink lunchbox with a picture of her. It was a time when strawberry was my favorite fruit and pink was my favorite color (I had favorites of everything). Today, I found out that not all strawberry cakes are "strawberry shortcakes". Traditional strawberry shortcakes have a base made of cream scones, apparently. I thought she'd look good in the collage, though, so I added her in.

P.P.S. Isn't it funny how the Swedish word for strawberry (jordgubbe) is a compound word from "earth / dirt" (jord) and "old man" (gubbe)? I didn't make a Strawberry Shortcake; I made a cake topped with old earthmen!

See Tags: Food

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lara said...

cake looks great, joy! we, too, have been enjoying sweet strawberries lately.

jordgubbar -- i wonder why/how they came up with that name, noh? :-)

7:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)