...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Eyeballing 102*

A year ago, I met this couple.


Or rather, they met me, through this blog. Lara is a Filipina from Iloilo; Jaakko is from Finland, and last year they visited me here in Norrköping during their amazing 24-day car trip around two countries. They live in Ljusdal in the middle of Sweden, which for us folks down here in Östergötland means "way up".

Anyway, we're visiting them tomorrow. We'll be back on the midnight between Monday and Tuesday. Just so you know where I am so you won't miss me, and just so you know you can expect travel pictures when I'm back :-)

Looking forward to tomorrow Lara and Jaakko! I'll bring some östgötsk food items! ;-)


* P.S. To English-language talibans out there: Is eyeballing a word? I Googled it, and the only site that used this phrase about internet friends happened to be a Filipino newspaper. The word was pretty common at the time when internet chatting was a new phenomenon in the Philippines, but I feel weird using it myself. So, is it a valid internet slang or is it just Filipino slang? Or is a word a word as long as two people know what they're reffering to? Chances are that you're not an English-language taliban if you answered "yes" to that last question. I'm not one either, but I don't think I'd use the word for Scrabble. After all, eyeballing – and even eyeballed – has more than seven letters.

7 Comments:

Blogger Leplume said...

Eyeballing is common slang here. I think it actually started when it was heard in a movie "An Officer and A Gentleman" when the Sargeant yelled at Richard Gere "Are you eyeballing me?" when Gere was staring at him. So, yes, it's slang but probably hasn't made it into the dictionaries just yet! :)

2:48 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Thoughtskoto said...

I would like to invite you to in the 2009 Search for the top 10 Pinoy Expats/OFW Blogs and be the nominee from Europe by posting an entry or a post relevant to this years PEBA theme: Filipinos Abroad:: Home of the nation, Gift to the World.

Email or visit the PEBA site for more info.

10:01 AM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Leplume: But how about "eyeballing" someone in the sense of meeting him/her in real life (vs. virtual life) for the first time? Is that an OK use?

Mr. Thoughtskoto: Can I think about it?

11:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can "eyeball" something in the sense that you estimate something about it. So: "How big is that bookshelf?" "Well, just eyeballing it, it looks like it's four feet tall."

or: "How many jellybeans do you think are in this jar?" "Just eyeballing it it looks like there are about 300"

1:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ahoy!

I came across your blog entry: joys-photo-contest-number-6 because it was linked to in a blog called Homeliving: http://homeliving.blogspot.com

If you gave this person permission to link your blog ignore my comment,if you did not grant permission you may want to check out the context of the blog entry.

I read Homeliving because it makes me laugh not because I agree with its politics. If my blog was linked to as an example of depravity, I would be mildly irritated. That is why I am giving you a heads up.

My apologies in advance if you are ok with the link in Homeliving.

Enjoy your summer!

urai

4:33 AM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Thanks for the heads up, urai. I commented on the entry just asking to remove the link because it might be misleading.

...Actually, the funny thing is that the picture I took wasn't even from Skagen, and not even from Denmark!

10:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ahoy!

Not Skagen? Funny indeed.

I agree that a link like that is misleading. The "not suitable for young children" gleefully made me think I would see TERRIBLE things; just imagine my disappointment when I came across a sunny and likeable blog like yours!

Take care

urai

9:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)