...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I interrupt my studying for...

... food! My new cookbooks have arrived in the mail!

Annas pajer (Anna's pies), with recipes for both savory and sweet pies, and Sju sorters kakor (Seven sorts of cakes), a bestseller baking book in Sweden.

I've been drooling over these cookbooks for half a year now, and since this month is booksale month in Sweden, I could finally buy them at the price I'm willing to pay for them (I considered buying them in the store, but I saved 100 kronor buying them online during the sale).

Anna Bergenström of Annas pajer writes food articles in magazines and was a food journalist for the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter. We tried and tested her recipes from two other books (on Swedish and Mediterranean food respectively), and since we are in a quiche-phase right now – they're easy lunchbox food – I think we'd be trying out one of her pie recipes soon, too.

But the other cookbook, Sju sorters kakor, is the one I'm really excited for. The small book is award-winning, but not snobby. Far from it – it has roots in real people's kitchens. In 1945 and after the war, people were poor, supplies were rationed, and for this reason, they have not been baking cakes and pastries. To change this, a national cake-and-pastry recipe contest was held, which brought in 8,000 entries from around the country. The winning recipes and the runners-up got published in the book, which also became an instant success and was immediately sold out. Another contest was held for the book's second edition, which also became a success – and in total, the book has been re-published 19 times and 3 million copies of it has been sold in a country of 9 million people.

Although it's called "Seven sorts of cakes", there are recipes here for dessert buns of all kinds, rusks (crunchy biscuits), danish pastry, small cakes, roll cakes, cookies, layer cakes, no-bake cakes, gluten-free and low-sugar cakes. And the appeal is that all ingredients can be found in any well-stocked Swedish grocery store. In fact, the later editions have also made a point to include other recipes when more ingredients became imported into the country. Yum, my first pastries book and I can't wait to start baking!

The distracting picture when you turn the cover

...Okay, back to studying!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lara said...

lycka till, joy!

8:37 PM

 
Anonymous Esther Garvi said...

7 sorters kakor! I LOVE that cookbook! And I see now that I must get the revised copy!

Good luck with your studies!

9:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)