...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Friday, November 09, 2007

Food journal number 26: Princesstårta

I completed another year yesterday and I was sung the Swedish birthday song for the first time in 24 years. Hihihi :-) Click here for a video of how it sounds like, at someone else's children's party posted at YouTube. I copied the first translation that comes up on Google below:

Ja, må hon leva (3x) uti hundrade år.
Ja, visst ska hon leva (3x) uti hundrade år.

(Yes, may her live (3x) for a hundred years.
Oh sure, she will live (3x) for a hundred years.)

No wonder that next to the Japanese, the Swedes have the longest life expectancy in the world.

Thanks to family and friends and all the well-wishers! :-D Here's a virtual cake for those I can't share my real cake with:

(Looks familiar, Lea? It's the same virtual cake I gave you by e-mail on your birthday! :-D)

It's a princess cake (princesstårta), the most common type of cake you will ever find here in Sweden, not only on birthdays but for any occasion like one's retirement or even setting a boat to sea, which was when we ate the pictured cake above. Nowadays that fathers' day is nearing, the feminine "princess" cake has even been temporarily renamed to the more manly "fathers' day cake" – but don't let the ads fool you – they're available all year round like the "Christmas ensaymada".

The bottom of a princesstårta is made out of plain cake bread, and the filling of whipped cream and vanilla custard – sometimes there can be a layer of fruit jam too – is decked on top with a layer of usually brigt green or bright pink marzipan. Smaller one-person versions of the same cake, called bakelser, are sometimes made to resemble frogs. They're really cute with the green marzipan; they're as big as a baking cup and look quite cartoony. I had one for my birthday meryenda, in fact -- there's a picture of the frog here. I joked that if you dare to kiss the frogs they will probably grow into corresponding "prince" cakes. :-D The taste is leaning on the sweet side if you take the cake on its own, but otherwise it's a very good birthday cake to serve with... coffee. Not exactly one's idea of a birthday drink I know, but like I said, the cake is a year-rounder.

I requested another type of cake for my birthday though: something with a chocolate-cake bottom, chocolate creme and pistacio paste filling and topped with even more chocolate and roasted almonds (It's apparently called a trisstårta. I only found out today by looking at the bakery's website, click here and scroll to "Trisstårta" for a picture). It was really hard to choose from an array of cakes I haven't seen or tasted before, but I'm glad to say that my choice was nodded upon by the eaters, not only by virtue of it being my birthday and all! I noticed that they finished the whole cake before even thinking of touching their coffee cups :-)

But back to the title of the blog entry, if you'd like to bake a princesstårta on your own, a recipe is available through this link, which directs you to this food blog called Anne's Food. In that recipe I think she bought a pre-made marzipan cover, but of course, if you're daring enough, you could also make that from scratch (next project, PJ?).

365 days to go until I reach my first fourth of a century! (I'm trying to live to a hundred years, after all, you know!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Carlo said...

I tried the Princess Cake once at IKEA. I prefer the Daim Cake or Almond Cake kasi mas matamis hahahaha!

Anyway, your birthday cake looks REALLY yummy (although okay lang sa akin kung walang rose on top) :o)

4:49 AM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Haven't tried the Daim or Almond cakes yet, but hey, that's an idea :-D

Thanks, I posted another picture of my cake at Multiply just now. Yeah, they seem to like their roses on their cakes, don't know why. But then again, I've always been the one to eat the flowers on cakes :-D

9:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)