...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Looks eerily familiar!

Sometimes I browse through the archives of PhD comics by Jorge Cham (PhD is short for "Piled Higher and Deeper" and pokes fun at life as a PhD student). I can't say that I can relate to all of the strips, but I today I found something that eerily reminds me of myself!


Picture of the PhD desktop. "Thesis stuff" has cobwebs on it. And I'm laughing at "Pirated music, movies, comics" and "Random programs you only used once".

My desktop right now. Not at its worst, thankfully!

If the saying is true that your piles reflect your brain, in my brain, blog stuff are lumped together with family pictures, recipes and school tasks (though not in that priority, haha)! Having two computers – one at work and one at home – is also starting to get confusing since I now have "piles" in two places. I think I might need an online "dump" for all my files. And I need a new hard drive since recently it has been hard to save regular Word files while having Firefox, Adobe Acrobat, Dictionary and iTunes open simultaneously. Yikes!

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that my blog is three years old! Three years ago, I thought I was the last person to ever open a blog. I didn't even know what I was going to write about. Now, most of my blogging friends have either switched to micro-blogging in Facebook, changed the titles, layouts and addresses of their blogs at least thrice during the three years, or quit blogging altogether – and I'm still here. Wonder of wonders! Of little wonder is the fact that I'm supposed to be cramming work today before Lea's visit, but I find myself writing this entry. Ain't it great how blogs can make you feel productive even during "wasted" time? ;-)

Seriously, though my desktop looks like crap with all the blog drafts, side projects and pictures beside school articles and paper drafts, I think this hobby-work mix has been beneficial. I love lighthearted blogging after a long day of reading articles that all want to sound important. But then after a while I also realize how similar conveying a train of thought in a course paper is to attempting to make a story sound interesting to both regular and unexpected readers of a blog.

Besides, blogging is a much more interesting way of telling stories to your family than e-mail! (and thanks to my pizza entry, Lea wants to try kebab pizza! How's that for creative writing!)

3 Comments:

Blogger karmi said...

Hi! Sometimes I think I blog because I'm too lazy to email each and everyone of my friends. With blogging I get to tell them all at once, at least the ones who read my blog.

9:32 PM

 
Blogger aka Cheryl said...

joy! a quick comment about this *very* interesting post: use Dropbox ( https://www.getdropbox.com/home ). i haven't fully utilized it yet, but basically it's like an online hard drive. you can dump files to it from one computer and access them on another computer, as long as your other computer has dropbox too. :) initial size is 3G. wow, that's not big, haha. but still useful if you forgot your external hard drive or usb. :)

9:33 AM

 
Anonymous Esther Garvi said...

Haha, touché!

7:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)