...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

A cool family vehicle

I saw one of these family transport bikes on the way to the grocery the other day. I've seen it on before on the Copenhagen Cycle Chic website, but it was the first time I saw one for real. Apparently these bikes are common in Copenhagen, which makes sense since the terrain is much flatter there. I didn't take a picture, but here's what it looks like:

Picture from the bike manufacturer's site, Nihola.

Isn't it cool? And it's actually being sold as a family vehicle! The manufacturer says it can fit up to two children, up to 7-8 years old. Obviously, it also fits other things like groceries for your whole family.

Well, our bi-weekly groceries fit into two regular-sized bike baskets, we don't have children and 11,000 Danish kronor (starting price, without accessories) sounds too steep for a bike. So, this is not for us. But it's still a cool thing.

Ahhh... but wait a minute! I knew this reminded me of something when I looked at pictures of the Manila pedicabs!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Christianne said...

I saw these while we were in Copenhagen, was wondering where I could buy one. As long as I have small kids, I'll have an excuse for not learning how to ride a proper bike haha. Pero ouch nga ang presyo!

9:51 AM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Hej Christianne! Long time no see! I have been really bad at checking other blogs (and making creative posts about Sweden) for the past half year. :-S

Mag-import ka kaya ng pedicab? Hehehe!

I read in the site that you can break up your payments for the Nihola family bike. But then again, (1) you can also do that for a family car and (2) it's cheaper to buy second-hand bikes for the whole family.

If we lived in Skåne where it was flatter, it could be a real alternative though, esp. for transporting things.

6:25 PM

 
Blogger Mikael said...

You see these cargo bikes in other Danish cities, like Aarhus, where the terrain is very hilly, as well as in many other European cities that aren't as flat as Copenhagen.

5:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)