...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Plenty of things that don't seem to work

This is the 200th post on this blog that I've been saving to write on my new ASUS Eee 900. My sister Lea thought of giving it to me as an advanced birthday gift, and it was taken here to Sweden by Jeline.

It makes my iBook look and feel huge!

I'm very happy with the Eee, except for one (major) thing: there always seems to be something wrong with connecting to the internet. That, and a series of bad choices on my part to change the OS into one thing or another to no avail, has really been a cause of background-frustration for me for the past three weeks.

Week 1.The Eee originally came with Linux Xandros, which my family decided to change to Windows XP for several reasons I can actually understand. The router had problems recognizing the computer though, so we had to buy a new router (an Airport Express) for 950 kronor. The internet worked after that, but after a whole week of tinkering, I got so frustrated with Windows that I had the idea of switching OS to make things less complicated. Besides, I don't like how Windows is filled with ugly clutter (Mac has spoiled me), and I hated having to deal with those terrorist messages about my computer being always potentially at risk for viruses. So, because I felt like a brat and I wanted anything but Windows, I decided to recruit the help of Petri, our Linux-initiated friend, to change my OS to Linux.

Week 2. I changed to a verson of Linux Ubuntu that's said to be suited for ultra-mobile PCs like the Eee. Not only did the installation take some time; there were bugs to be removed to make the simplest functions (like shutting down) work. The internet didn't work at first, and neither did the built-in microphone, which I thought were necessary for how I intended to use computer (i.e. Skyping). So yesterday, Petri tried some more fixes, but impatient as I was to just get everything working again, I suggested that we should just stop trying to fix the Ubuntu and install the original Xandros OS, which should work 100% fine. I think I may have made a mistake there, if I hadn't already made a mistake by replacing the already-working Windows to Linux.

Today. Now I have Linux Xandros on my computer, but – frustratingly – no internet connection. I get it to work for 5 seconds until the network connection status says "Link is down" and disconnects. And since I've tried most permutations in the network settings – which aren't many – I'm just stumped.

In short, I'm not writing my 200th post on my brand new computer. And I can't use Skype on the ASUS. And I'm getting really frustrated. To top it all off, it just seems that all my frustrations about this computer effectively capture in a nutshell my greater disappointments about my job-hunting situation, where everything is promised to work but where there are lingering questions of how and when this would happen.

Why can't everything just fall into place?

5 Comments:

Blogger Petri said...

So the wireless won't work, huh?

I'll try to dig up a fix. In the meanwhile you could try
connecting to a wired network to get software updates. I don't think there is a fix waiting for you, but it doesn'tju hurt to try.

4:14 PM

 
Anonymous Lara said...

wait...i will refer you to my linux geek slave. maybe he can solve this glitch.

8:13 PM

 
Blogger JaakkoJ said...

What's that white monster of a thing under your laptop..? Just kidding. You mean Zandros-Linux can't keep up regular Ethernet connection (via cable) to router? Is it using dhcp or has static IP? Or is it WLAN, as Airport Express suggests? I don't know so much about the latter, cable connection should work anytime but obviously cables can be a nuisance you don't want :).

8:33 PM

 
Blogger Ahoy! said...

Hi Petri, Lara and Jaako!

I knew that the only people who would comment on this entry would be geeks. Heheheh! :-) But take that as a compliment – What would people like me do without you?

Petri: Good idea, I can try this tomorrow (it's already 10PM). It didn't work for the original Windows problem of "limited or no connectivity" which I suspect this problem actually is, but as you said, it doesn't hurt to try. I'll update you.

Lara and Jaako: We're using WLAN, which *should* work on Zandros too because it eventually worked in the Ubuntu (unless I'm making a logical fallacy here; A doesn't mean B). With DHCP, the network connection is perpetually in "pending" status and doesn't connect to the internet at all. Then I tried filling the blanks (IP address, gateway, DNS, those things) with the same or slightly different information as the ones that appear in my Mac. It becomes "enabled" for exactly 5 seconds before saying "link is down".

Jaako and Petri: What's up with Finns and Linux? Haha!

10:20 PM

 
Blogger enilejna said...

To top it all off, it just seems that all my frustrations about this computer effectively capture in a nutshell my greater disappointments about my job-hunting situation, where everything is promised to work but where there are lingering questions of how and when this would happen.

Why can't everything just fall into place?


Hugs! Keep it real and stay strong Yoy. :)

11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)