...because you thought Sweden was Switzerland!

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Food journal number 33: Marcus' birthday cake


As I said in my last food entry, I borrowed Maria Öhrn's book on kladdkakor from the library. Since it's Marcus' birthday today, I picked out and made "Favoritkakan" (lit. the favorite cake), which has its name because it was the author's father's favorite. It's not a regular kladdkaka as you know it. The chewy-brownie consistency is replaced by a smooth, creamy, very velvety texture and a bottom that has a bit of a crunch. Very luxurious taste too, which I believe is best with coffee. Here goes the recipe (no-bake and, if it matters to you, gluten free too):

Favoritkakan

Bottom:
250 g almond paste (I bought a ready-made paste, but you can also make one yourself using the recipe I put up in the semla article)

Filling:
125 g butter
3 dl whipping cream
250 g dark chocolate
250 g milk chocolate
2 T rum (In the absence of rum, I used 1 teaspoon rum essence)

Very simple, rich ingredients!

Roll out the almond paste to fit the bottom of a round spring form (about 21 cm in diameter). Press the almond paste onto the form bottom, but it's not necessary for the corners to be covered. Melt the butter in low heat in a medium-sized saucepan, and when most of it is melted, pour down the cream. Bring this to a boil (I had to stir from time to make sure that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot). When it has boiled, remove the saucepan from the stove, and stir in the chocolate bits. Continue stirring until the mixture has become smooth, thick and homogeneous. Pour into the almond paste-lined spring pan, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

===
The verdict? Delicious! It brings to mind how some chocolate cakes are described to be "exquisite", and if I ever had an exquisite chocolate cake in my life, this would definitely be it (and this is not only because I made it, haha). It really has melt-in-your-mouth goodness and a taste that's better than all the good ingredients on their own. Besides – and excuse the pun – it's really a piece of cake to make; you have just got to be crazy not to make it right.

The down side: aside from making me realize that there can be "exquisite" chocolate cakes in this world, just looking at the ingredients of this cake made me understand how the words "chocolate cake" and "sinful"could be used in the same sentence. I haven't been to spinning class in three whole weeks, and here I am pigging on a cake that literally consists of different forms of fat. The whipping cream alone has 40% fat content, and with butter (80% fat), well... you've got half of the ingredients. Plus, before deciding to bake this cake we just went grocery shopping and ended up buying two sorts of chocolate and chips. And ate them. No wonder a single slice of cake could give one guilty feelings.

So, I swear from now on that I will only make this cake on a yearly basis, and when many others are there to eat it (I will give today's guests substantial slices so I can deflect the guilt from myself, bwahahaha!). This is for practical reasons too. The cake is expensive to make. There was leftover butter from the 500 gram pack and leftover cream as well, but when I added my as-is costs for making this cake, it surprisingly ended up at 114 kronor. "Exquisite" and "luxurious" cake has a suiting price tag to it, I'm afraid. On the other hand, it makes this cake not the kind you gobble up indiscriminately like beer and a bag of chips. It's something meant to enjoyed in little portions as you contemplate on the joy of life and the deliciousness of food and the warmth of good company. A little like a small glass of cognac.

Happy birthday Marcus!

1 Comments:

Blogger Humanclone said...

Hey, I liked your blog!
I just started a slideshow blog.It basically consists of slideshows created from Nachofoto
I created couple of slideshows just for your blog.If you like the slideshow pl dont hesitate to embed it in your own blog.
Dessert time with some sinful Cakes!
Yummylicious chocolate recipes....
Yummy cookies!!! which cookie is your favorite??

There are loads of different slideshows on my blog which you might like and embed in your own blog.
You can also create you custom slideshow from Nachofoto
-anuj
PS: Feedbacks are always welcome! Thanks!

5:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<<< Browse older posts (via sidebar list)